Friday, May 3, 2013
- See a Free Shakespearean Play:
- The Winter's Tale - Friday, May 3, Saturday, May 4, and Sunday, May 5 at 8 p.m. Austin Shakespeare presents The Winter's Tale, a dark romance fueled by the contrast of jealousy and joy. The production runs Thursdays through Sundays, from May 2 - 26, and is free to the public. Zilker Hillside Theater, 2201 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- Two Gentlemen of Verona - Friday, May 3 and Saturday, May 4 at 8 p.m. Join Something for Nothing Theater for a free evening of Shakespeare under the stars, as they present Two Gentlemen of Verona. Performances will be Thursdays - Saturdays, May 2-4, 9-11, and 16-18. All shows are free and open to the public. Bring a blanket and enjoy the play. Ramsey Park, 4301 N. Rosedale Ave., Austin.
- Dottie Jordan Recreation Center - Friday, May 3, from 4 - 6 p.m. Come celebrate Cinco de Mayo with free popcorn and drinks, as well as games, music, face painting and arts and crafts. Free. Dottie Jordan Recreation Center, 2803 Loyola Ln., Austin.
- Turner-Roberts Recreation Center - Saturday, May 4, from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Come celebrate Cinco de Mayo at Turner-Roberts Recreation Center. Families will enjoy free games, food, door prizes and music while learning a few things about the Mexican heritage. Everyone is invited, so stop by! Free. Turner-Roberts Recreation Center, 7201 Colony Loop Dr., Austin.
- Dove Springs Recreation Center - Saturday, May 4, 2013 from 2 - 7 p.m. Music, games, food, and family fun! Free. Dove Springs Recreation Center, 5801 Ainez Drive, Austin.
- Parque Zaragoza Neighborhood Fiesta - Saturday, May 4 from 6-10 p.m. An evening where families in the community can gather in their neighborhood park to celebrate each other and our culture. Enjoy family games, live entertainment, activities for the youth, and food. This event is free and open to the public. Parque Zaragoza, 2608 Gonzales Street, Austin.
- Cinco de Mayo Block Party - Sunday, May 5, from 1-9 p.m. The 5th Annual Cinco de Mayo Downtown Block Party will feature musical performances by: Austin High Folklorico Dancers, CELSIUS, DJ Chicken George, DJ Chorizo Funk, Este Vato, La Guerrilla, Bombasta, VITERA, Charanga Cakewalk. There will also be activities for the whole family: face painting, balloon making, dancing, street foods y mas! Parking available in all downtown garages. Valet on 3rd Street. Entry is free. West 2nd Street between Guadalupe and San Antonio, Austin.
Bonus fun in the 'burbs:
- Spring Concert in the Park - Friday, May 3 from 7-10 p.m. Bring your lawn chairs or blankets as there will plenty of area available, but don’t get too comfortable in your chair as you will be sure to dance the night away. Food concessions will be available, but you are welcome to bring a picnic and your own ice chest. Glass containers are prohibited. Admission is free. Elizabeth Milburn Park, 1901 Sun Chase Blvd., Cedar Park.
- Leander Movies in the Park: Madagascar 3 - Friday, May 3 at dusk. Often described as a combination of state-of-the-art technology and the nostalgia of the 1950s drive-in, the Movies in the Park series provides families the opportunity to spend time together under the stars while enjoying first run movies…all for free. Bring your lawn chairs, blankets, and a picnic dinner. Concessions are also available. Glass containers are prohibited. Friendly pets on a leash are welcome. Robin Bledsoe Park, 601 S. Bagdad Road, Leander.
- MudQuest Family Adventure - Saturday, May 4, from 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. You must be in line by 9 a.m. to participate. The MudQuest Family Adventure is a themed adventure run offering the entire family more obstacles, more mud and more fun than your average run event. The event is free for the entire family but you are asked to pre-register. Old Settlers Park, 3300 Palm Valley Blvd., Round Rock.
- Pioneer Day - Saturday, May 4, from 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. Enjoy a free, fun-filled day of pioneer activities. Make a corn husk doll, dye fabric with berries, dip wax candles, and more. Old Settlers Park, 3300 E. Palm Valley Blvd., Round Rock.
- Round Rock the Boat Regatta - Saturday, May 4 at 11 a.m. The Round Rock the Boat Regatta pits homemade cardboard boats in a fun race at Old Settlers Park. There will also be a Mini Boat Regatta for kids at 10 a.m. Old Settlers Park, 3300 Palm Valley Blvd., Round Rock.
- Hill Country Galleria Saturday Night Concert Series - Saturday, May 4 from 7 - 9 p.m. Listen to free live music by The Pop Tarts. Hill Country Galleria, Outdoor Amphitheater, 12700 Hill Country Blvd., Bee Cave.
- Pflugerville Music in the Park - Sunday, May 5 from noon- 5 p.m. Come out to this special kickoff event and enjoy free live music by Austin Civic Wind Ensemble playing Musica de Mexico. Pfluger Park, 515 City Park Road, Pflugerville.
Bonus ways to support kids:
- March for Babies - Saturday, May 4 at 9 a.m. (registration begins at 8 a.m.). At this fun, free event families can learn about how the March of Dimes works to save Texas' tiniest babies. Auditorium Shores will be filled with bounce houses, slides, games, and more for the kids to enjoy. Auditorium Shores, 800 W. Riverside Dr., Austin.
- Lemonade Day Austin - Sunday, May 5. Lemonade Day is a nationwide event that teaches kids the skills they need to be successful in the future. Youth learn to set goals, develop a business plan, establish a budget, seek investors, provide customer service, and give back to the community. Lemonade day is the perfect opportunity for a community to show kids they care and train the next generation of entrepreneurs through a free, fun, engaging, experiential activity. For a list of locations where you buy get lemonade, click here.