Thursday, May 2, 2013
Looking for someplace local to commemorate Mexico’s victory over France in 1862? Well, you're in luck! There will be Cinco de Mayo festivities all over town this weekend.
Cinco de Mayo Celebrations:
- Keep San Marcos Beautiful Spring Concert - Thursday, May 2, 2013 at 6:45 p.m. Kick off Cinco de Mayo weekend with music by Del Castillo, Vallejo, and Justin Murray. Free and open to the public. Texas Music Theater, 120 E. San Antonio St., San Marcos.
- Telling Stories Project - May 2, 3, 4, 2013 at 7:30 p.m. Arrive early, seating is limited. Directed by Stacey Shade-Ware. Script and scenes created based on interviews with veterans and their families. A collaboration with Austin Community College Creative Writing Department. Free. Emma S. Barrientos Mexican American Cultural Center, 600 River St., Austin.
- Cinco de Mayo Fiesta - Friday, May 3, 2013, from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Travis County will hold their annual Cinco de Mayo fiesta on Friday. The festivities and will include music, antojitos, and aguas frescas. Sponsored by the Downtown Austin Alliance, this free event is open to the public. 700 Lavaca Street (first floor), Austin.
- Cinco De Mayo Celebration at Dottie Jordan Recreation Center - Friday, May 3, 2013, from 4 - 6 p.m. Come celebrate Cinco de Mayo with free popcorn and drinks, as well as games, music, face painting and arts and crafts. Free. Dottie Jordan Recreation Center, 2803 Loyola Ln., Austin.
- Cinco de Mayo Celebration at Turner-Roberts Recreation Center - Saturday, May 4, 2013, from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Come celebrate Cinco de Mayo at Turner-Roberts Recreation Center. Families will enjoy free games, food, door prizes and music while learning a few things about the Mexican heritage. Everyone is invited, so stop by! Free. Turner-Roberts Recreation Center, 7201 Colony Loop Dr., Austin.
- Cinco de Mayo Celebration at Dove Springs Recreation Center - Saturday, May 4, 2013 from 2 - 7 p.m. Music, games, food, and family fun! Free. Dove Springs Recreation Center, 5801 Ainez Drive, Austin.
- Neighborhood Fiesta at Parque Zaragoza Recreation Center - Saturday, May 4, 2013, from 6:30 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. There will be games, music, refreshments and a performance by the Conley Guerrero Ballet Folklorico Dancers. There will also be a "pitch, hit and run" competition on the baseball field. For more information contact the PZRC at (512) 472-7142. Parque Zaragoza Recreation Center, 2608 Gonzales St., Austin.
- Film Screening: “Texas Before the Alamo” - Saturday, May 4, 2013 at 7 p.m. Arrive early, seating is limited. Hosted by Millet Films. Free. Emma S. Barrientos Mexican American Cultural Center, 600 River St., Austin.
- 8th Annual Cinco de Mayo Fiesta in Fiesta Gardens Park - Saturday, May 4 and Sunday, May 5, 2013. On Saturday, admission is free until 5:00 p.m. and is $7.00 after 5:00 p.m. Children 12 and under are free. On Sunday, admission is $7 all day. Children 12 and under are free. The two-day event will feature a variety of Tejano and Conjunto bands that will bring the extraordinary sound of the accordion and bajo sexto guitar to life through various rhythms and beats. The unique sound of these musical groups using a variety of musical instruments along with the vocal harmony of lead and backup singers brings the heart and soul of Mexico and Tejanos to life on the stage at Fiesta Gardens. 2101 Jesse E. Segovia St., Austin.
- Cinco de Mayo Celebration at Brilliant Sky Toys and Books - Sunday, May 5, 2013 at 1 p.m. Come by to celebrate Cinco De Mayo by creating maracas and mini paper plate sombreros, running sombrero relay races, and enjoying a Pinata at 2:30 p.m. Ages 3 yrs+. Registration required (512-347-8697). Free. 701 South Capital of Texas Highway, The Village at Westlake, Austin.
- Cinco de Mayo Block Party - Sunday, May 5, 2013 from 1 p.m. to 9 p.m. To celebrate the rich heritage and culture of Mexico, La Condesa will produce the 5th Annual Cinco de Mayo Downtown Block Party. The fiesta will cover the entire block of West 2nd Street between Guadalupe and San Antonio, and feature an array of food and beverages provided by La Condesa and other local vendors. The free event is open to all ages and is expected to draw a crowd of more than 2,500. There are activities for the whole family: face painting, balloon makers, dancing and live music from Este Vato, Bombasta, La Guerrilla, Charanga Cakewalk and more.
- Sync-o de Mayo - Love ATX Fest - Sunday, May 5, 2013, from 1 - 10 p.m. Yoga, sustainable swap, live music, community art, drum circle, and more. Suggested donation of $5 - $15. Vuka, 411 West Monroe, Austin.
- Cinco de Mayo at the Library - Sunday, May 5, 2013, from 4-5:30 p.m. Austin Music Award winner, Gina Chavez, will be playing live at the Ruiz branch for the delight of all! Ruiz Branch, 1600 Grove Blvd., Austin.
Cinco de Mayo Food Deals:
- Taco Bueno - This weekend, Saturday, May 4 and Sunday, May 5, participating Taco Bueno restaurants turn this year’s Cinco de Mayo celebration into "Cinco de Bueno" by debuting an improved, bolder queso for only five cents a serving with the proceeds going to several local food banks. Plus, Taco Bueno will match all sales from the new queso offer for the participating food banks, making the day even “More Bueno.” No additional purchase is required.
- Taco Cabana - Visit the Taco Cabana Facebook page after noon on Sunday, May 5. Taco Cabana will be posting a coupon for a FREE Breakfast Taco, to use the morning of Monday, May 6, 2013.
- Chango's Taqueria - Buy 2 breakfast tacos, get 1 free with this coupon. One coupon per party. Expires May 10, 2013.
Image credit: The La Condesa Cinco de Mayo Downtown Block Party