Monday, December 10, 2012
As a newly minted Wildside blogger, I was invited to go behind-the-scenes at SeaWorld last weekend, to spend some time getting to know the resident animals on the Grand Adventure Tour. It did seem a bit cheeky to run away for a child-free weekend of petting dolphins and smooching beluga whales but, as I told my husband, it was work, so I had to. You can see just how hard I was working.
The Grand Adventure Tour is pretty amazing. It allows participants to learn the basics of animal training at SeaWorld and to put those techniques into practice. I was able to instruct a bottlenose dolphin to dance, to have a special moment with a beluga whale, to pet a penguin, to feed sea lions, and more. I got over my initial squeamishness fairly quickly and had a wonderful time marveling at the intelligent animals.
Because I had no children to whisk home to bed, I stayed through the very last Shamu Christmas Miracles show and even joined Santa and friends in closing out the park with carols by the tree. SeaWorld blanketed in festive lights for the holidays is truly a sight to behold. I highly recommend a nighttime stroll through the Candy Cane Forest.
Tempted to go visit Shamu and his many marine buddies this holiday season? Here are several ways you can save on your next SeaWorld adventure.
Ways to visit SeaWorld for Free:
- Register to participate in the Polar Plunge at Aquatica San Antonio on Saturday, January 5, 2013, benefiting Special Olympics Texas. Commit to raising at least $100 in donations from family and friends and you will receive one two-day admission ticket to SeaWorld San Antonio (valid January 5, 2013, and January 6, 2013), a long-sleeve t-shirt, and a meal voucher. The more money you raise for Special Olympics Texas, the more benefits you can receive, up to an incentive package including two two-day admission tickets and four 2013 SeaWorld SanAntonio/Aquatica Fun Cards! Go here for details.
- Throughout 2012, members of the military and as many as three direct dependents may enter SeaWorld San Antonio with a single-day complimentary admission. Go here to register.
- Are you a family-oriented blogger in Texas? Apply to be a Wildside 2013 Blogger! Applications are currently being accepted online.
- Kids under 3 get in free.
- Bring a Coca-Cola product (even a can) and save $15 on a single day adult or child ticket, through December 31, 2012.
- Get a coupon for $15 off at any participating San Antonio IHOP location.
- Get $10 off when you purchase online.
- Purchase a 2013 Fun Card for SeaWorld and Aquatica, and you'll get remaining 2012 season for free.
- Purchase online to get an adult ticket at the kid price, plus a 2nd visit for free. Go here and click on "SeaWorld San Antonio" to see this deal.
Disclosure: I am a Wildside Blogger, but was not asked to write about the Grand Adventure Tour, nor was I compensated for this post. I was invited to participate in this special Wildside event free of charge. All opinions are my own. This post does contain an affiliate link. For more information, please read our Disclosure Policy.