Friday, September 7, 2012
Hey, you made it to the end of the week. Good job, you! Before you embark upon lots of marvelous weekend adventures, I wonder if I might ask a favor? If you have a spare moment, it would make our weekend if you would vote for Free Fun in Austin in The Austin Chronicle's Best of Austin 2012. There are bunches of categories (you don't have to fill them all out), but we would love votes for "Local Entertainment Website" and "Local Blog" in the "Media" section. The ballot is only open through Monday. Thank you, thank you! We appreciate you bunches.
- Metz Movie Under the Stars - Friday, September 7 at dusk (about 8:20 p.m.). See a FREE screening of Lady and the Tramp. Bring your lawn chairs, blankets and snacks to enjoy an outdoor movie! Feel free to bring your dog to this screening. Enjoy FREE popcorn and drinks! Metz Recreation Center, 2407 Canterbury Street, Austin.
- Three Amigos at BOND'S - Friday, September 7 at dusk. Enjoy a FREE screening of Three Amigos (1986)(PG). This is an outdoor event, so you are encouraged to bring your own lawn chairs, blankets, mosquito repellant, ice chest, etc. BOND'S Television and Electronics, 1010 West Lynn Street, Austin.
- Mirror Mirror in Leander - Friday, September 7 at dusk. Leander's Movies in the Park series returns with a FREE screening of Mirror Mirror. Bring lawn chairs, blankets and a picnic dinner to enjoy this movie under the stars on a 20-foot tall screen. The movie will begin at dusk. Concessions will be available for sale. Alcohol and glass containers are prohibited. Friendly pets on a leash are welcome. Robin Bledsoe Park, 601 S. Bagdad Road, Leander.
- Journey 2: The Mysterious Island in Cedar Park - Friday, September 7 at 8 p.m. Bring your blankets and lawn chairs to Elizabeth Milburn Park to enjoy free movies, Friday evenings this fall. Concessions will not be available, but you are welcome to bring a picnic. Glass containers are prohibited. Admission is FREE! Elizabeth Milburn Park, 1901 Sun Chase Blvd., Cedar Park.
- Central Market North Lamar - Friday, September 7 and Saturday, September 8, from 6:30 - 9 p.m. Enjoy FREE music on the patio stage:
- Friday - Brazilian Independence Day. Seu Jacinto plays traditional Northeastern Brazilian music. Since 2005 this grassroots collective has been focused on the traditional regional music forms such as Forró, Coco, Ciranda, Banda de Pifanos, Maracatu, and other traditional rhythms.
- Saturday - Carper Family Band. This groups brings a fresh approach to three part harmonies, old country, old-time bluegrass, and swing tunes. Their boiled-down and intimate presentation highlights the quality of their united and solo voices, as well as drawing on each player’s abilities.
- Make a Chuck E. Roller Project at Lowe's - Saturday, September 8, from 10 - 11 a.m. Kids can build a Chuck E. Cheese inspired Chuck E. Roller, with the help of Lowe's Home Improvement employees. Clinics are limited to 50 kids per store and are recommended for ages 5 - 11 (or 1st through 5th grades). Kids will all get to take home their newly created project, as well as goggles, apron, a patch of completion. Register online to ensure that your child receives a project kit.
- Circus Chickendog Shows - Saturday, September 8 at 2 p.m. and Sunday, September 9 at 11 a.m. Music Forever Music Together will host two free shows featuring five trick dogs, a storytelling parrot, and a clown formerly in the Royal Lichtenstein Circus. There will be juggling, unicycle riding, accordion playing, yo-yo tricks and more:
- Saturday at 2 p.m. - Live Oak Unitarian Church (3315 El Salido Pkwy, Cedar Park, TX 78613 - in the “Common Ground” building behind the church)
- Sunday at 11 a.m. - BabyEarth (106 E. Old Settlers Blvd, Suite D-100, Round Rock, TX 78664)