Friday, August 31, 2012
- Metz Movie Under the Stars - Friday, August 31 at dusk (about 8:20 p.m.). See a FREE screening of The Little Giants. Bring your lawn chairs, blankets and snacks to enjoy an outdoor movie! Enjoy FREE popcorn and drinks! Metz Recreation Center, 2407 Canterbury Street, Austin.
- HITSquad Concert on the Georgetown Square - Friday, August 31, from 6 - 8 p.m. Celebrate the end of summer with the final Music on the Square performance in Georgetown's Summer Concert Series. The HITSquad be performing '80s and 90's Rock and Pop hits on the beautiful Georgetown Square. Bring your own lawn chair or blanket to enjoy the free concert. Downtown Square, Georgetown.
- Free Goal Post Football Game Project at Home Depot - Saturday, September 1, from 9 a.m. - noon. The Home Depot offers FREE hands on workshops for kids ages 5 - 12. This Saturday, kids can build their very own goal post football game. In addition to their craft, kids will also receive a free kids workshop apron, a commemorative pin, and a certificate of achievement. To find a Home Depot near you, go here.
- Beach Bash with Joe McDermott - Saturday, September 1, from 10 a.m. - 1 p.m. Join Northwest Family YMCA for a fun Family Beach Bash celebrating the end of summer and the beginning of a great school year! From 10 a.m. - 1 p.m. the outdoor pool will be open to community. There will also be a bounce house, face painting, family fun games and challenges, prizes, hot dogs, music and more! Joe McDermott will perform at 11 a.m. Please bring 3 cans of food to share with our neighbors in need. For more information, visit the YMCA website or Joe McDermott's website. Northwest Family YMCA, 5807 McNeil Dr., Austin.
- Celebrate Me! Asia and China - Saturday, September 1, from noon - 4 p.m. Celebrate Me! is a travel exploration activity designed to celebrate similarity and diversity. Each time a Celebrate Me! event is held, the community is invited on a journey to explore a different culture and the artistic life of a community through language, food, geography, and history. Visit the George Washington Carver Museum and Cultural Center for FREE food, Chinese tea, music, dance, Kung Fu demonstrations and more. George Washington Carver Museum and Cultural Center, 1165 Angelina, Austin.
- Storytime and Book Launch at BookPeople - Saturday, September 1. Enjoy a Vive la France storytime at 11:30 a.m., followed by a Release Party at noon in celebration of Liz Garton Scanlon's new book, Think Big. Liz Garton Scanlon will be present at the Release Party to speak and sign books. BookPeople, 603 N Lamar Blvd., Austin.
- First Saturday at Bob Bullock Museum - Saturday, September 1, from 2 - 6 p.m. Explore the Museum exhibits for FREE from 2 - 6 p.m. TEXplorations Story Time, with a hands-on activity, songs, stories, and games, will take place on the second floor lobby at 2 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. The Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum, 1800 N. Congress Avenue, Austin.
- Del Castillo Concert at The Long Center - Saturday, September 1 at 7 p.m. The FREE City Terrace Concert series returns to The Long Center for the Performing Arts with a performance by Del Castillo. Bring your blanket and a picnic to enjoy this free concert on the terrace. The Long Center for the Performing Arts, 701 W. Riverside Drive, Austin.
- Saturday Night Concert at Hill Country Galleria - Saturday, September 1 at 7 p.m. Hill Country Galleria will host FREE concerts in their outdoor amphitheater on Saturday nights this fall. Bring a blanket and enjoy this free Saturday Night Concert Series. Aaron Navarro will perform on Saturday. Hill Country Galleria, 12700 Hill Country Blvd., Bee Cave.
- Splash Jam in Cedar Park - Sunday, September 2, from 4 - 9 p.m. The event is FREE and open to the public, and a great way to celebrate the end of summer! Concessions and activities technically open at 5 p.m., but a washer tournament begins at 4 p.m. Guests can enjoy free live music, dancing, and inflatables. Other activities that involve a fee include food concessions, face painting, video games, laser tag, hamster balls, quad jump, spinner ride, super slide and rock wall. Milburn Pool will be open with regular pool admission rates. The night will finish off with a fabulous fireworks display. Elizabeth Milburn Park, 1901 Sun Chase Blvd., Cedar Park.
Check out the Free Fun Calendar for more family friendly events. Enjoy your long weekend!