Friday, May 11, 2012
- Metz Movie Under the Stars - Friday, May 11 at sunset. Bring a blanket or chairs to see An American Tail. Enjoy FREE popcorn and drink as well! **Call 478-8716 after 4 p.m. to ask if the movie is still scheduled. It will be canceled in the event of inclement weather.** Metz Recreation Center, 2704 Canterbury Street, Austin.
- Happy Feet 2 - Friday, May 11 at dusk. Movies in the park is often described as a combination of state-of-the-art technology and the nostalgia of the 1950s drive-in. The Movies in the Park series provides families the opportunity to spend time together un- der the stars while enjoying first run movies . Movies begin at dusk. We encourage you to bring your lawn chairs, blankets, and a picnic dinner. Concessions are also available. **Check the Facebook page or call 528-9909 for weather updates. It depends on how the field dries out, whether or not they will cancel.** Robin Bledsoe Park, 601 South Bagdad, Leander.
- Austin Shakespeare's Twelfth Night or What You Will - Friday, May 11 - Sunday, May 13 at 8 p.m. Take your blankets or low chairs and head to Zilker Hillside Theater, next to Barton Springs Pool, to enjoy Bollywood-inspired sets, costumes, music and dance, in this unique production of one of Shakespeare’s most popular romantic comedies. The show is FREE to attend, but donations at intermission are appreciated. **Check the website for weather updates.** Zilker Hillside Theater, 2301 Barton Springs Rd., Austin.
- Get Babied! Spring Spa Fest, Saturday, May 12, from 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. - FREE admission! FREE food and drink! First 100 guests get an awesome FREE schwag bag with spa goodies! FREE belly shots for pregnant mamas! FREE infant portraits for the little ones! FREE Yoga! Henna! Massage! Qi Gong! Chirorpractic assessments! FREE Facials! Mini Manis & Pedis! Mimosas! Flowers! FREE Petting Zoo! Music! FREE Face Painting for Kids! RSVP online to receive a FREE $10 gift card. Baby Earth Round Rock Store, 106 E Old Settlers Blvd, Round Rock.
- Austin Chef Showdown - Saturday, May 12, from 11:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. To be presented by the Mayor's Fitness Council at the Mexican American Cultural Center, the Austin Chef Showdown is a FREE event where the public can sample the tastiest healthy entrées from 15 restaurant finalists and vote on their favorite. Celebrity-food critics will also cast their votes and the final winners will be announced at the end of the day. In addition to the FREE tastings, the event will feature music, movies, kids activities, cooking demos and more. Mexican American Cultural Center, 600 River Street, Austin.
- Super Cinderella - Saturday, May 12, from 12:30 - 2 p.m. Violet Crown Community Theatre performs an updated, modernized, super charged, and empowered this Cinderella story. Central Market, 4001 N. Lamar, Austin.
- Grand Opening of Discovery Lab - Saturday, May 12, from 2 - 4 p.m. Join the Austin Public Library on Saturday for the Grand Opening of the Dell Discovery Lab. Bring the kids to Willie Mae Kirk Branch for fun activities and pizza, and to hear remarks by Nobel Prize winner Dr. Steven Weinberg about the significance of scientific discovery in his life. Willie Mae Kirk Branch, Austin Public Library, 3101 Oak Springs Drive, Austin.
- Staci Gray at Ruta Maya - Sunday, May 13 at 10:30 a.m. Kids show with Staci Gray. Ruta Maya, 3601 South Congress Avenue, Austin.
- Free Music and Admission to Bob Bullock Museum - Sunday, May 13, from 6 - 9 p.m. Women in Texas Music Night. Presented by the Bullock Texas State History Museum and the Austin Federation of Musicians and held in conjunction with the special exhibition, Texas Music Roadtrip, this live music series features different themes or genres each week, from cajun and zydeco to jazz and swing. Explore the dynamic musical traditions unique in Texas's history and culture each Sunday night on the Museum's Lone Star Plaza... then explore them in depth inside the Museum, where admission to the exhibits will be also be FREE. For a special treat, each Sunday before the main stage show, enjoy a half hour of music from the Austin Symphony Chamber Players inside the Museum's Rotunda, beginning at 5:15. The Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum, 1800 N. Congress Avenue, Austin.
- Mother's Day Concert at the Capitol - Sunday, May 13 at 7 p.m. What better way to close out a great day with Mom than by taking her to a free concert at the Texas State Capitol in her honor? The band will perform well-known tunes, including marches and musical numbers, that you and your Mom are sure to enjoy! Get there early to select the best seating... this concert gets more popular every year. Texas State Capitol South Steps, 1100 Congress Ave., Austin.
Please note that several of the events we have featured this week have either been canceled or postponed due to the weather. We recommend checking event websites, or calling venues, before heading out this weekend.
For more Mother's Day events and freebies, head over here. Have a great weekend!